Monday, November 8, 2010

Porch Projects: Sleeping Porches are Complete (mostly)

When we first saw the Sow's Ear, the little sleeping porches off the back of the house upstairs were being used as storage areas. They contained some cheapy armoires and some clothes rods.





They were cold, dirty little spaces with uneven mismatched floors and mismatched walls (textured wallpaper, vinyl siding, drywall, etc.)



I cleaned up the walls, filled holes, moved out the old armoire that was left behind (it's now our tool cabinet in the basement), and most importantly, put down a new floor. See the difference:







I still need to create some window coverings, but I have a scheme for that to be completed in the next couple of weeks. I'm also planning to have an electrician come out and (I hope!) install an overheard light in the smaller room and an electrical outlet as well. I am hoping to use these spaces to host art exhibitions, in the tradition of the Chicago apartment gallery and French salon. We'll see if I pull that off. For a few days at least, I'm happy to just savor the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment