The windows in the tiny nursery are tricky, since they are very tall and include both a window and a functioning door that leads onto the sleeping porches (and the new office-ette). I determined that the best looking way to cover them would be to run a curtain along the whole wall. But after weeks of Internet and in-person shopping, I hadn't found Exactly What I Was Looking For, and the time to hang them was nigh. In a fit of pique (and energy!) I decided to make my own curtains from canvas drop cloths and paint.
I first bought two large canvas drop cloths, then washed and dried them in case they had any kind of sizing or other treatment on them. I next carved some simple triangles into three potato halves, using regular kitchen knives and a couple of chisels.
|Potato stamps and Benjamin Moore Natura paint, to be used for both curtains and walls.|
Before working on my drop cloths, I tested out some printing methods on scrap fabric. I poured a small amount of paint into a roller try, donned some rubber gloves, and experimented with brushing on the paint vs dipping directly into it. I needed to figure out how much paint was sufficient to get a good print, and how much would just turn into a blob.
After figuring out a strategy, I stretched my first drop cloth onto one of the big painting walls in my studio.
And I started to print!
After several hours of work, I produced this thing of beauty:
|One finished curtain|
|Finished product, in place. Those happy smiles are worth my couple hours of oozy grossness.|